The concentration in Professional and Media Writing attracts students who enjoy writing and editing; organizing, designing and visualizing information; researching new topics; and working with writing and communication technologies—and it provides excellent preparation for careers in (for example) technical and professional writing, editing, information design and management, and usability.
What are the benefits of a Professional and Media Writing concentration?
Students in this concentration can look forward to careers as effective communicators and information designers in a variety of workplace settings, including corporate, nonprofit, and government organizations. Professional and media writers plan, create, and evaluate multimodal documents, print and online, that help organizations solve problems and achieve goals. Professional and media writers produce websites, publications, reports, educational and training materials, marketing materials, grants, procedural and policy documents, and numerous other types of documents.
- ENGL 209: Journal or Magazine Practicum
- ENGL 210: The Process of Writing
- ENGL 211: Introduction to Writing Studies
- ENGL 215: Introduction to Article Writing
- ENGL 229: Digital Studies
- ENGL 265: Reading Nonfiction
- ENGL 401: Studies in Genre
- ENGL 414: Biographical Writing
- ENGL 415: Advanced Nonfiction Writing
- ENGL 416: Science Writing
- ENGL 417: The Editorial Process
- ENGL 418: Advanced Technical Writing and Editing
- ENGL 419: Advanced Business Writing
- ENGL 420: Writing for the Web
- ENGL 421: Advanced Expository Writing
- ENGL 425: Nonfiction Workshop
- ENGL 470: Rhetorical Theory and Practice
- ENGL 471: Rhetorical Traditions
- ENGL 472: Current Theories of Writing and Reading
- ENGL 473: Rhetorical Approaches to Discourse
- ENGL 474: Issues in Rhetoric and Composition
- ENGL 478: Grant Writing
- ENGL 479: Business or Technical Writing Practicum
- ENGL 480: Communication Design for Writers
- ENGL 491: The Capstone Course in Professional Writing
- LA 495: Internship (3 credits only)
Minor in Technical Writing
See an adviser if you want to earn both the Professional and Media Writing concentration and a minor in Technical Writing. If you select the right courses in Professional and Media Writing, you will only need two additional courses to earn the minor in Technical Writing.